The church was built in the early 1200's, at around the same time as the castle and the magnificent Norman nave has survived unrestored.
The Early English chancel was reconstructed in the 1870s by John Seddon, who rescued the whole church from a ruinous state and put in the glass screen dividing chancel and nave.
The church is described as "a noble Early English building" in the Gwent volume of "Buildings of Wales" series (2000) and is among the buildings featured by Simon Jenkins in his recent "Wales Churches, Houses, Castles" (2008).
Today it is a thriving centre of worship with regular weekly services, a church choir, Sunday school and the church bells are rung regularly. The church also holds an annual Charity Fair.
The Norman nave is used for a whole range of village activities, which have included story telling, concerts, jazz and rock music, as well as barn dances, wedding receptions, harvest lunches and other celebrations.